Chocolate Black Bean Cupcakes – sounds delicious and IS!
- One 15 ounce can (or 15 ounces, cooked) unseasoned black beans* OR 1 1/2 cup cooked beans, any color (navy beans, kidney beans, etc)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons gluten free or your choice of flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (163 degrees Celsius).
- Drain and rinse beans in a strainer or colander. Shake off excess water.
- Place beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, and salt into a blender.
- Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. No lumps!
- Whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a bowl, use a mixer to cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the two remaining eggs, beating for a minute after each addition.
- Beat the bean mixture into the rest of the batter in the mixer.
- Finally, stir in cocoa powder mixture and mix the batter on high for one minute, until smooth.
- Scrape batter into muffin tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake the cupcakes for the recommended time below. They are done when the top springs back when you press on it.
- Remove to a cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes. Turn out cupcakes from pan, and place back onto cooling rack.
- Let them cool until they reach room temperature, then cover in plastic wrap. For BEST flavor, let them sit over-night in the refrigerator!
Notes* Rinse the black beans very well in a colander to wash off as much salt as possible. If you are baking a single round layer cake, bake for 40-45 minutes. If you are baking the batter as cupcakes, bake for 25 minutes.